STOP assuming they heard you and try this...

A lot of contention happens with our kids when we just assume things.

We assume they heard us say it's dinner time, or make your bed, I'm leaving, or something else.  We then feel frustrated because they are so disrespectful and don't listen.

Let me help.  

Try:

👉🏼Making eye contact.  Often we are hollering to them from another room and both of us are busy with something else.
👉🏼Using a quieter voice.  When the norm is to yell or be loud if we are more quiet they may pay more attention.  WHISPER like a secret, "would you please put away your laundry?"
👉🏼Asking them to repeat back to you what you told them.
👉🏼Asking them, "did you hear what I said?"

So often our kids tune us out like we tune them out.  This doesn't mean they are disrespectful.  We are all humans and doing out best.  

Sometimes when my kids are telling me or asking me something I've tuned them out I'll say, "I'm sorry I wasn't listening, I am now."  Sometimes they get annoyed, but mostly they are kind and repeat themselves.  Let's show that kind of respect towards them.

To save yourself a lot of frustration and anger don't make it a big deal.  If you want to have a consequence make sure it's one you will follow through with.  Make sure it's not a hollow threat to get a quick result.

Although, this doesn't seem like it would elicit a consequence.  Teach by modeling.  If you want them to listen more model HOW.

Take care, 

Megan 

Do you want to stop yelling and fighting with you kids?  Are you tired of everything feeling soo hard and frustrating?  I can help.  In February I'm teaching the four parenting C'crets: connection, communication, confidence and coaching, for only $87.  CLICK HERE for more details.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A child's behavior is not a sign of who they are.

How to have less sibling fights in your home

3 steps for less fighting and yelling at home