What to do for your child with separation anxiety.

I know it's hard to leave your child when they are crying or have them cling to your leg crying, "don't leave me!"

BUT, I also know it can go so much better depending on how the parent responds.

I have been studying and researching separation anxiety.  What I've been learning and have learned and experienced with my own kids and with teaching preschool I want to propose to you and see if you'd be interested in testing. 

1.  Transition item
This is just an item that brings her comfort aka a stuffed animal, blanket, family picture etc.  

2.  Role playing 
It's helpful to role play with items: dolls, stuffed animals, Legos and say something like, "school is tomorrow some kids feel: happy, sad, nervous, worried, scared etc. it's ok to feel however you do. I am going to say bye to you then leave, Mrs. Megan knows what to do and will keep you safe.  I know you're safe and I'll always come back to get you"

It can be helpful to have a secret handshake or I had one mom once that would give her son three big hugs then leave.  

This doesn't mean that things will always go smoothly, but it helps prepare the kids for what's to come and let them know that you trust them and me (or their teacher)!

3.  Replay the day sometime later in the day for example, "you had preschool and felt nervous then I dropped you off, and picked you up.  Mrs. Megan told me that you sat by her and played with the other kids.  I picked you up. Now we are here together eating dinner or reading a story etc."  This helps them see that they did feel the way they did and now everything is fine.  

4.  Validation goes a long way.  Often when our kids are in the middle of big feelings and we are trying to reassure them it falls flat.  So validating them can be super beneficial, "Sounds like you are really sad about going to school, I love you." 

I know it's hard to leave when they are crying, but parents (I've been there) only see a small part of the day when the drop off is hard, they don't see the rest of it.  

As a teacher it's helpful for me if the parent just leaves.  In my 17 years of teaching preschool the kids usually stop crying within a few minutes.  

The way the parent responds has a huge impact on how the kids respond.  

It's ok to feel sad yourself and worried about your kids.  I think, "no news is good news." and that helps me feel at ease and peace.

ONE more thing this can be harder for the parent than the child, am I right??  If you want some help with this I can help you.  Text me @435-760-2590

As a sidenote these suggestions are just for a kid with separation anxiety if something has happened or there is harm in any way you'll need to take more action to ensure your child is safe.  

Have a lovely day.  
Megan

You can get more information about coaching by clicking >>HERE<<

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A child's behavior is not a sign of who they are.

How to have less sibling fights in your home

3 steps for less fighting and yelling at home