The Most Amazing Thing Happend

The most amazing thing happened.

First off I want to say parenting is hard.  There are many times I don't know what to do.  One child is upset about not getting what they want and think I'm siding with the one child, but if I let the other have "their" way then the other feels upset.  AND neither is right and neither is wrong.  

The other day one of my twins was feeling disappointed. 

They were going to play with each other and Austin changed his mind.  Carter felt disappointed and upset that Austin said yes then said no.

I was talking to Carter and telling him how he could try and ask if Austin would play with him for 10 min. Or that sometimes people just change their mind and we feel disappointed.  

He started saying some rude things and bothering Austin.  I said, "I won't let you talk to him like that.  If you continue we will leave."  (SETTING A BOUNDARY IS SOMETHING I WILL DO)

I started thinking, "he's such a brat." and started feeling mad and wanted to yell at him BUT...

Thanks to so much coaching (which is why I became a coach and can help you too), practice, and learning to KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT.  I didn't say anything I regret.
 
I told him to go to his room to calm down and he said, "no thank you😂."  I didn't want to physically carry him there I think there gets to be an age that you shouldn't do that, and honestly he's 80 lbs which makes it hard.  

He continued.

Austin and I left and went for a bike ride.

When we got home 15-20 min. later.  Carter came upstairs and said, "sorry."

As a parent I believe it's our job to be the example (I am far from perfect at this, but have gotten so much better).

It's our job to set boundaries and hold them.  

I love helping parents define their boundaries and learn how to hold them lovingly.  I love helping them try different techniques that are effective with their kids.

If you want some help with this click HERE for a free discovery/coaching call.

xoxo,

Megan



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less Whining, Less Fighting: Try This One Simple Shift

Why “Notice” Works Better Than Praise

The Small Mistake That Makes Kids Stop Talking to Their Parents